Olivier Kamndon, father of a Del Norte student, was seriously injured crossing Montgomery Blvd. this week. He and his family are refugees from the civil war in the Central African Republic. Oliver is learning English, but speaks French and several African languages and was assisted at the hospital by Del Norte French teacher Melinda Forward who helped translate information about Oliver’s condition into French for his wife.
Oliver is a maintenance worker at the Jewish Community Center but is unlikely to return to work anytime soon. He is in serious condition at University of New Mexico Hospital and volunteers from Lutheran Family Services are providing meals for the family. The agency has set up a fund to help them. To help:
- Donate online to Lutheran Family Services at: lfsrm.org/give-now/
- Go to the comment box, put in Kamndon Family Fund — ABQ.
- Next, in the Designation box, select Refugees and Asylees.
- Then hit the Donate button at the bottom.
- That will pull up areas to fill in information including payment method to complete your donation.
Read the entire story Refugee’s quest for a safe place interrupted in the Albuquerque Journal.